United Nations Day commemorates the ratification of the United Nations Charter in 1945. October 24 has been celebrated as UN Day since 1948.
The UNAR celebrates United Nations Day annually with a free conference, open to the public. Each year’s conference focuses on a particular topic, featuring an array of distinguished speakers on that topic.
United Nations Day Conference 2016
The 2016 conference will be held Friday, November 18, at the Strong National Museum of Play. The topic of the conference is “New Americans: Who Stays?” Come to participate and learn about the screening process and how local agencies are helping refugees and immigrants with their housing, education, health, and jobs.
Light refreshments, including yogurt, water, and coffee, will be provided.
- Counsel for Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Department of Homeland Security
- Community Relations Officer for Citizenship and Immigration Services, Department of Homeland Security
- Housing – Representatives from Catholic Family Center and Rochester Refugee Resettlement Services, Inc.
- Education – Representatives from Rochester International Academy, City School District : Family Learning Center (OACES), and Literacy Volunteers of Rochester.
- Health – Representatives from Rochester Regional Health
- Jobs – Representatives from Rochester Refugee Resettlement Services, Inc.